Thursday, March 21, 2013

Module 8- Blog Video Review

1. Explain why you selected each of the three videos you choose from the selection listed above. I selected the video More Human Than Human because it was required for this Blog assignment. I chose the Cario Museum video, because i've never heard of that museum and I thought it would be interesting to learn about the museum and see what types of things were inside. I picked the video Late Gothic Art and Art Architecture, because I thought the sound of gothic art sounded different and interesting and I am always interested in architecture. 2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned. More Human Than Human, I learned that humans made art and art made us humans. I learned that humans don't like realism. We exaggerate as humans because we don't like the way our body forms really look. We edit advertisements to make the human body look better to satisfy us. Images dominate our lives, they tell us how to behave, what to think, how to feel, they define us. But no other image dominates our lives like the human body. In the film Cario Museum, I learned that the museum is located in Egypt and everything in the museum is about eternal life and death. It is filled with some of the worlds most precious artifacts. The museum is so large that only half of its pieces are shown at one time. These pieces are great visual proof for the archaeology, Egyptian history and art history. I learned that Pharaohs were buried with their treasures because they believed they would follow them to their afterlife. Late Gothic Art and Architecture: England, 1400-1547 captures the transition from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance through architecture Gothic art is dark art. Every church at the close of the middle ages were filled with alters, stained glass images, colorful paintings. All these images had different functions. One thing in common to all the churches was at the east end, to each side of the altar there would be two images. The south side would be the virgin and child. North side you'd have the patronal image- image of the patron saint. 3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text? Both the video and the text teach us about the history of architecture. There was not too much in the book about the video Cario Museum, but for what was in common, the films were more in depth and easier to understand. Further extended the information given in the book. 4. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts? My opinion of the films is that they were boring compared to the other videos watched in this course. I may have found them boring because I don't enjoy history and I find it very hard to pay attention to. So it was hard to get myself to focus on the videos and not get distracted. Although I found the films boring, they were very informative and went in depth to complete anything misunderstood in the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment