Friday, March 15, 2013

Module 7- Video Review

1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned. Prairie Style (Frank Lloyd Wright) In this video, I learned a lot about the famous architecture Frank Lloyd Wright and how he designed family houses. He built with bands layering of horizontals. He wanted his homes to reflect the time, place and landscape. Many people felt his homes felt claustrophobic because of how low the ceilings were. He also built his houses based on where the sun rises and sets. He wanted his homes to be private but not covered, and he liked his houses with a lot of windows. Frank Lloyd Wright built like houses they grew out of the sight, or belonged. He believed he was the best architect, and he proved himself to be right. Architecture: The Science of Design In this video, I learned about architecture and how it works. I learned a lot about skyscrapers. The structure of a skyscraper causes many problems. Skyscrapers are built with two parts. Superstructure which is the part about the ground, and substructure, which is the part built below the ground. Skyscrapers are set on concrete. With skyscrapers being so tall, wind causes the building to sway. The taller the building the more it will sway. Buildings over 100 feet tall can sway up to 1 meter. Architects can determine this with a computer. A poorly designed skyscraper can cause motion sickness, damage to the building and elevators to stop with high winds. 2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text? These videos relate to the readings in the text because, the videos basically say the same thing as the text. The video’s just go more in depth and have visual examples. For visual learners like me, it really helps you understand what you have read in the text. 3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of Architecture? I enjoyed the films. I really enjoyed the Frank Lloyd right video because not only was I looking at pictures of his homes but I was actually able to see a 365-degree view of the homes they showed in the videos. I was influenced by his architecture and I can now say I have a favorite architect. The architecture video was good too, I knew tall buildings swayed in the wind but 1 meter is way more than I imagined. When they showed the building swaying it looked as if it was ready to snap. These videos were very informative and I not only enjoyed them but I learned a lot from them. 4. Why did you choose the films that you watched? I chose the films I watched, honestly because they were the first two on the list. None of the titles interest me more than the others. But after watching the videos I am glad I chose the ones I did, because I really enjoyed them and who knows if I would have enjoyed the other videos as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment