Friday, March 8, 2013

Blog 6: Video Review

Through The Eyes of a Sculptor 1. List/discuss the key concepts you learned. In the video "Through the eyes of a sculptor," I learned that the most popular types of stones are clay, bronze, marble and limestone. Also i found it interesting that different types of stones have different scents to them. I learned "Sculptors come alive in clay, die in plaster, and are reborn in marble." Clay hardens to get its shape. I also learned the steps in creating a sculptor. FIrst a clay model is created. Then a cast and last the plaster model is created. Creating a sculptor is a long process. Glass and Ceramics 1. List/discuss the key concepts you learned. I learned a lot in the video "Glass and Ceramics," Glass is made from sand, which is one of the most abundant surfaces on earth. Liquid is stiffened when it is cooled. I learned the steps of making glass. First you heat the mixture which causes the sand crystalized structure to break. Then it gradually hardens in the air until it cools. You can also use a propane torch to shape the glass. Glass and ceramics are some of the oldest man made materials. Ceramics are made from clay and come into existence with fire. Bricks, protective shields for air craft are ceramics. Installation Art 1. List/discuss the key concepts you learned. The idea of installation art came from Marcel Duchomp and installation art is art that takes over space. This type of art Forces the viewer to interact with the art. The video showed Art installations throughout Europe and many other examples giving me a clear picture to what installation art is. 2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text? After reading the text, the videos helped me understand everything much better. The text pretty much said the same thing but videos went more in depth with it. The videos were easier to understand because you were watching what they were doing, not just trying to imagine it. I'm a visual learner, that may be one reason why i enjoyed the videos more than the book. 3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the topics: Sculpture, Installation, and Craft? I enjoyed the videos and thought they really helped me understand sculptors, installation and crafts. The sculptor video showed a lot of images that helped me understand the process. I had no idea what installation art was until reading the book and watching the video. I enjoyed how the bed was created into art. Really put a thought in my mind to what other objects could be created into a work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment