Friday, April 12, 2013

My Mask

I chose to create a clown mask. I chose the clown mask because my best friend is afraid of clowns and I thought it would be fun to scare her. I found three masks that inspired me. All three of the masks are also clown masks which is why i chose them. The clown is an important character in the La Fiesta de la Mama Negro. This is a popular celebration that happens once a year in a Quechua-speaking town close to Mt. Cotopaxi south of Quito in the center of Ecuador. Tourists are attracted every year with the unique customs and characters of the event.
 photo Ecuadorian-Clown-a_zps9dcfa145.jpg The first mask that inspired me was made with papier mache. The mask uses thick bright red line around the mouth to indicate the lips of the clown. The mask uses, red, black and blue contour lines to indicate the eyes of the mask. The eyebrows are shown with thick to thin black line. This mask is symmetrically balanced, what is on one side of the mask is the same on the other.  photo HalloweenmaskClown-a_zps5eb9eb6b.jpg The second mask i chose was also made with papier mache. This mask was in the halloween mask category. This mask also uses thick red line around the mouth to indicate the lips of the clown mask. The mask uses shape along with thick and thin lines to apply design. The hair of the mask also has shape. The mask uses the colors red, blue, yellow and brown. The mask itself is white. Contour line is used to outline the ears on the mask. This mask is also symmetrically balanced.  photo Halloween-Clown-mask-2a_zps4d856234.jpg The third mask i chose was created a full-head clown mask created with latex, paint, and artificial hair. The head-hair and eyebrows of this mask shows texture. The mask itself also looks to have a smooth texture, but the wrinkles in the mask look to have a rough texture. In this mask black line is applied around the lips to create a diamond shape, and the diamond shape is colored with white paint to give the mask design. Also above the eyes is almost a full circle outlined in blue and also painted in white giving a unique design around the eyes. The mask itself is tan or peach color and the nose, cheeks and lips are more of a salmon color. This mask is symmetrically balanced just like the other two.  photo SAM_0333_zps1a5b01ce.jpg  photo SAM_0334_zpsb92e87a0.jpg  photo SAM_0331_zps4893cb33.jpg
My mask was created with paper, a cotton ball, yarn, markers, paint and hot glue. The hair, eyebrows and nose give my mask texture. My mask has shape in the eyes, nose and dots on the cheeks. My mask has think red line to create the lips. I used thin contour line to create the eyes. The eyebrows also create line. My mask has the colors; purple, white, red, black, peach and blue. My mask is symmetrically balanced. I think creating the mask was fun. It took some time, but I felt like a little kid again creating arts and crafts. I think the mask turned out good, you can tell what it implies. My favorite part is the cotton ball nose because clown costumes has the red ball nose, and I think it really helps complete my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment